Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct
Mission and Purpose:
The South Miami Youth Baseball League (SMYBL) is dedicated to raising the standard of service to youth in sports through the creation and enforcement of the Code of Conduct. The Code of Conduct defines the expectations for coaches/parents/spectators/officials/players in our league and explains the tools to be used by SMYBL when necessary, to check behavior and to respond with resolve to protect children from any psychological, emotional, physical, or social abuses that can be perpetrated against them during their participation in youth sports.
The SMYBL firmly believes that for the sports experience to be positive, safe, fun, and an enjoyable learning experience for youth, coaches/parents/officials/players (hereafter “participants”) must be held accountable for their behavior when working with and around youth.
“I understand and agree to abide by the Rules of the South Miami Youth Baseball League, as promulgated by (SMYBL) & (Omar Diaz Sports LLC), a Florida limited liability company, the sole and exclusive owner and operator of the South Miami Youth Baseball League, and to conduct myself in a manner consistent with the objectives of the league. The South Miami Youth Baseball League is an independently operated league which uses the facilities of Palmer Park per the terms and conditions of a separate agreement between(SMYBL) & (Omar Diaz Sports LLC), and the City of South Miami Division of Parks and Recreation. The City of South Miami Division of Parks and Recreation does not have any affiliation, responsibility, liability or otherwise in connection with the South Miami Youth Baseball League and any and all matters are to be directed and addressed solely to (SMYBL) & (Omar Diaz Sports LLC), . Any misconduct, profanity, or other actions detrimental to the spirit of good sportsmanship and fair play can result in expulsion from the league and park premises during the time of league play.”
Any player, coach, assistant coach or parent/guardian of a player who is a discipline problem, who throws their hat, helmet, bat, ball, or glove in anger, uses foul language, or any other actions detrimental to the SMYBL (OD Sports LLC) will be removed from the game and required to leave the park. This rule may be enforced by the player's coach (where applicable), umpire, Division Commissioner, or President as applicable.
Any mischievous behavior or inappropriate conduct on the bench will also result in removal from the game. Examples include:
- Players will direct all cheering towards their own teammates and shall refrain from taunting, criticizing or jeering at opposing players. Badgering, name-calling or use of foul language by a coach, whether directed at an umpire, coach, player or spectator will not be tolerated. Violation of this rule will result in a warning to the coach followed by ejection from the game.
- Cursing or fighting is cause for immediate ejection from the game, and repeated offenses will result in player(s) or coach (es) being barred from participating in future SMYBL games or practices.
Coaches shall have the authority to temporarily suspend a player on his/her team from activity for a period not to exceed beyond the next game, when in the coach's view a player's conduct during a team activity warrants such action. The coach will immediately report such action in writing to the Division Commissioner or League President.
The game umpire shall report to the President within twenty-four hours after the game the reason(s) for the removal of a participant from the game and/or park.
When a game umpire has informed the President that a participant was removed from a game and/or park, he may require the participant to provide an explanation. The player's coach shall appear to supply additional information. The President shall impose such penalty as he feels is warranted. Also the President or League Commissioner will not participate as Coach or Umpire during the Season for Leagues Games.
Control of Team
Head Coaches are responsible for the conduct of their players, parents, and assistant coaches. If, at the request of the umpire, a coach refuses to exercise control of players, parents, and assistant coaches, the coach may be removed from the playing field and the park along with any and all offending spectators and/or players.
Coaches' Code of Conduct:
- I will place the emotional and physical well being of my players ahead of a personal desire to win.
- I will treat each player as an individual, and expect age appropriate skills from all my players.
- I will do my best to provide a safe playing situation for my players.
- I will lead by example in demonstrating fair play and sportsmanship to all my players on and off the field.
- I will respect the decisions of referees and coaches.
- I will remember that I am a youth sports coach and that the game is for children and not adults.
- I will adhere to the Coaches Code of Conduct while participating in any SMYBL- (OD Sports LLC) activity.
Inappropriate Behavior by Participants:
- Taunting, criticizing or jeering of opposing players and officials.
- Cursing or fighting.
- Critical, insulting, foul, or discriminating actions before, during or following games or practices.
- Inappropriate behavior is cause for immediate ejection from the game and/or park.
- Any conduct incident with a coach or volunteer involving SMYBL will be subject to review by the President of the SMYBL.
Procedures for Implementation of Code of Conduct:
The right to discipline a participant remains with the President of the SMYBL. Procedures for discipline will involve the President conducting an investigation within 14 days of the President receiving notification. The President may not necessarily request input from the involved participants. The President of the SMYBL has the final word. There is no appeal….